back-to-school teff porridge
Growing up, I was a total porridge kid (also, likely a total weirdo). As soon as there was a hint of chill in the air, I eagerly awaited sticky bowls of oatmeal (with raisins!), Malt-O-Meal, or Cream of Wheat in the mornings before school. I would sit down, plop a large spoonful of dark brown sugar on top, and meticulously swirl it in, watching the sugar crystals melt slowly into the steamy cereal bowl. Yep, total weirdo.
Flash forward a couple decades, and the change of seasons still has me suddenly craving porridge. This teff bowl hits all the cozy, creamy, brown-sugary, fall-is-fast-approaching notes, and transports me back to those mornings of waiting for the bus in my freshly ironed (soon to be destroyed) plaid uniform. Teff is a gluten-free supergrain rich in iron and other minerals, and its nutty rich flavor makes a fantastic base for porridge. I got fancy in the photo here, topping it with a plethora of fresh and frozen fruits, and toasted coconut, but it is also delicious served simply on its own, perhaps with a sliced banana or some raisins on top.
• 1 1/4 cups unsweetened almond milk (store-bought or homemade)
• 1 scoop good-quality vanilla protein powder (I like VegaOne)
• 1 tsp. maca powder (optional but recommended. It's a staple in my kitchen!)
• heaping 1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
• 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
• 1 tbsp. dark maple syrup (more or less for your sweetness level)
• 2 pinches kosher salt
• 1/4 cup teff flour (I used Bob's Red Mill)
• Fresh, dried, or frozen fruit, chopped nuts and seeds, and toasted coconut, for topping
In a small saucepan over medium-high heat, whisk together all ingredients except for the teff flour and toppings. Bring liquid to a gentle boil, educe heat to medium, and slowly add in the teff flour, stirring at you go. The mixture should begin to thicken immediately, but continue to cook for a minute or so more until mixture is very thick.
Immediately transfer porridge to a bowl, and top with toppings of choice. I imagine a drizzle of nut butter would also be amazing on top. Serves 1 (eat immediately).
Recipe inspired by this lovely.